Ok, so maybe grilled cheese sandwiches aren’t exactly healthy, but using great ingredients and making it at home is certainly better than the alternative of eating out. Let’s start with the soup:
This was the inspiration for my soup: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/quick-creamy-tomato-soup-recipe.html.
It looked good, sounded promising – but after reading a bunch of reviews, I realized it would take some doctoring. So this is what I did:
- Saute 1 small onion chopped and 2 cloves of garlic chopped in a saucepan with some olive oil.
- Add 1 carton of chicken broth (my soup was a little thin – if you like it thicker, add less)
- Add 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Add 1 can tomato paste.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Add some chopped basil (I’m not sure how much I used – I keep it chopped in my freezer – I grabbed a small handful).
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add 1 Cup half & half.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth (I wound up leaving a few chunks of tomato).
- Taste check – add some fresh ground pepper and more basil to taste.
Ok…on to the grilled cheese. This was my inspiration – and exactly what I did:
Ok – not exactly, because I didn’t make Bobby Flay’s soup. But the fontina grilled cheese with sage mushrooms is so good. Go the extra mile and get sourdough bread. Grown up grilled cheese sandwiches deserve it.
Liked this post? Follow this blog to get more.